Dr. Sivuyile Madikana is a South African Medical Doctor and service-oriented leader, passionate about healthcare, youth development, service and advocacy in Africa. He is a Master of Public Health (MPH) Candidate at New York University’s Global College of Public Health, specialising in Healthcare Management and Health Policy. Dr. Sivu currently holds a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB BCh) degree from Wits Medical School and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from Wits Business School with a research focus on digital technology in healthcare and its impact on HIV/AIDS awareness and behavioral change in young men in South Africa. He currently works for the Policy and Governance Division at United Nations Women in the Gender Equality, Health and HIV/AIDS unit – advancing the agenda for gender equality & health of adolescent girls and young women.
- Provincial Representative for the Junior Doctors Association of South Africa (JUDASA)
- JUDASA National Executive Council member 2014-2016
- Provincial Deputy General-Secretary for the South African Medical Association – Trade Union 2016
Advocacy & Youth Development:
- Founder #VarsityConvos
- Digital Health awareness initiative aimed at institutions of Higher learning – with a focus on student health, social justice, gender equality and various other issues affecting their population.
- Brothers For Life (BFL) South Africa
- Brand ambassador
- HIV/AIDS awareness campaign, promoting positive health norms in young
- ‘The Impact of Social Media on Health-Related Outcomes Behavior in South Africa’ a paper that explored the use of digital media in the advancement of health behavioral change in young men in the country and continent at large. This topic focused on how these mechanisms can be used by health agencies to reduce the burden of HIV/AIDS.
- Junior Doctor of the Year Award – The South African Medical Association (Gauteng Branch) Presidential Awards
- Mail & Guardian Top 200
- Special Achievers Award – Wits University Faculty of Health Sciences Honors
- Health Excellence Special Award – Gauteng Youth Excellence Awards
- Cape Argus Top 10 most Influential Young South Africans
- GQ Best Dressed Man Award
Dr. Sivu’s set of skills, education and experience (both as a public health sector practitioner & UN researcher) have allowed him to truly gain an understanding of the landscape of the African public health system and its many facets.